At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, many Orthodox people came to Saskatchewan – a majority coming between 1900 -1920. Starting parishes and building churches was a priority so they may attend the Divine Liturgy on Sundays and other special services, to have their children baptized, and to have marriages and funeral services performed. Our parish was started by immigrants coming from Bucovina, Dobrodgea and other regions of what it is nowadays Romania and Ukraine.
1914 St. George parish was established and the original wooden church built on the present site. It involved much hard work and sacrifice by some of the people before they themselves had satisfactory housing.
1928 The small wooden church was remodeled after part of the building was destroyed by fire and a new Byzantine dome replaced the old dome. Many parish records were lost in the blaze – along with them, the church’s early history.
Other renovations took place in the early 1950’s.
1959 To accommodate the greater numbers of the faithful, a special plan for fundraising for a new larger church was started.
1960 The construction of the present Cathedral was completed and the mortgage burned.
1971 Blessing and official opening of the new Parish House at 421 Victoria Avenue.
1972 St. George parish participated in the construction and establishment of the Orthodox Centre at Fort Qu’Appelle.
1982 The church school program was revived. It is growing and has become a major priority of the parish.
1988 The first of our now annual pre-Easter Lenten period retreats with guest speakers and special topics for discussion, was held.
2001 Construction of a small addition to the church with the installation of an elevator and wheelchairs accesses.
2006 – 2012 The completion of the First Phase of the Church Beautification Project
Nowadays, St. George Orthodox Cathedral is a multinational Church including Canadians and other Orthodox faithful from all over the world.